RemoteConnection-DREAM

Thorsten Hohage thohage at objectmanufactur.com
Tue Apr 3 05:12:53 CDT 2007

Hi Bart,

On 2007-04-03, at 11:41, Bart Pietercil wrote:
> I don't really understand.
perhaps no one understand me ;-), perhaps you need to have your
exprience with german T-Com and furthermore "special" german
customers, ...

> What's keeping you from setting up the server at the client side
> from accepting a VPN connection.
> You can use a router that emails you when his WAN IP changes if the
> client can't do this himself,
Oh no, not several dozen emails a day for nothing

> or let the client connect to a special page on your website where
> his WAN IP is reported to him (there must be a thousand ways to do
> this)
yes, that's an option, there are several websites that do report the
website. We tried this in the past, but I really don't know why and I
know what I do, so *really* strange, I was not able to connect to the
client using the shown IP. My clients location is so far away from
the last "connection-point" that for years there was no DSL available
at all, now they've got one a year ago, but not "official supported".
I didn't
know what the provider has done to enable it and I don't know WHY
shown IPs don't work.

I'm afraid THIS is the reason why the provider declined to give a
fixed IP to this connection?!?!?!? And of course the provider don't
want to dicuss about technical reasons.

> Once you have the assigned IP, you can connect to his network with
> (if you are on a mac) Internet Connect through VPN.
In normal cases, yes.

> Next step is launch any ARD,Remote Desktop or VPN and take control
> of the machine on the other side.
Remote Control is far more, then I need, I "simply" want to connect
to the database. One simple SQL-statement says more then 10 Minutes
of telephone call ;-) - of course I CAN do this through i. e. Remote
Desktop but it's not "fun" nor usable if a screen redraw is about 5
Minutes, of course in "good times" it was average speed and
everything is ok, but you may know Murphy's law ...

> Probably I am missing some info why you are not doing is this way ?
> No router ?
Router yes, Router with VPN NO - further more I'm often away from my
office and I need to connect from another clients office to another
client, so ones client VPN may not be compatible with the other.
Again being at my desk may be another story, but  ... Murphy's law.

regards

Thorsten Hohage
--
objectmanufactur.com - Hamburg,Germany