[V4RB] pgSQL4RB and CLI

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Oct 23 01:39:18 CDT 2006

On 23.10.2006 00:35, "Kim Kohen" <kim at webguide.com.au> wrote:

>> 1) I VERY DOUBT it is more easy for understanding of newbie than 2
>> lines of
>> code which I can make in that "Valentina 40 seconds tutorial".
> €€€€
> The problem is it's hard for you to see this from a newbie's
> perspective.
>
> As someone who has gone through RBDB using MySQL, PostgreSQL using
> Marc's classses and Valentina's API - all with the SAME project - I
> can honestly say Marc's was the easiest to understand and easily the
> fastest.

:-) okay, as I say - up to choice of developer.

For years we have meet so different styles of development...
One developer prefer pure SQL, other pure API,
One say I want write a little code,
other say I am happy with verbose coding.

>> As say Ivan -- such things are like "magic". Developers often do not
>> understand what they do - just repeat some "magic steps".
> €€€€
> Sometimes you need to understand the magic, other times you don't.
> Valentina also uses this hidden 'magic'.  Look at
> mcusrsor.updaterecords() - I have no idea what makes it work. I have
> trouble with this command because it doesn't work like I'd expect it
> to (I'll explain in depth later)  On the other hand I don't have to
> understand the Valentina init(10*1024*1024) command to finish my
> application.
>

>> 2) Note, that REALbasic allow you create your own bindings. RIGHT?
>> So if you want you can EASY create in minutes bindings that will
>> populate
>> from VCursor to Listbox and enjoy by life. :-)
> €€€€
> I have no idea how you'd do this with RB bindings.

This is described in RB docs.

Binding is just a class. How you think Marc have made them?

>> IF you want we can do this job all together. And later add this
>> into V4RB in
>> open source instead of encrypted form like do Marc.
> €€€€
> I suspect my RB skills are not sufficient to to this - as much as I
> think it would be good.  Just be clear I'm not trying to be critical
> of Valentina  here, just point out where it can be improved. Given
> time, I'd be happy to work with you to try and make things easier for
> new users - and I will try and finish my sample project, one day:)

You have point perfect direction of V4RB improvement.
We will implement that.