Newbie

Kim Kohen kim at webguide.com.au
Sun Oct 22 20:01:44 CDT 2006

G'day Youri,

> I have created the project myself, I downloaded the finished
> project also and it fails every time I try to launch it in the
> following method :
I'm pretty sure the only bug I found was in file 6 and it related to
an incorrectly named editfield (or maybe database field - I can't
recall which). Have you tried running the Valentina version of the
tutorial file? I suspect your problem is simply a typo somewhere in
your code.

> Is there any other source of documentation to start from scratch?
> Everything seems very complicated to start.
I've always found (and still find!) Valentina to be 'quirky' to use.
Especially when you come from the fairly standard RBDB way of doing
things. Personally I think the very best interface to any database
from RB is the PgSQL4RB classes for PostgeSQL. The problem there is
supporting PostgreSQL:)

I'm starting to see some of the benefits of using vCursors etc but
sometimes it's a huge frustration as well and the temptation to
revert to RBDB ways is almost overwhelming.

Of course Ruslan will disagree:) but I think the documentation for a
non-standard API should be better.

> Sorry if this seems totally stupid, but I am trying to learn.
The example file I'm working on is not 'polished' and I've started
working on a real project so I don't know when I'll get back to
cleaning it up. If you'd like it though, I'd be happy to send it to
you 'as is' to play with.  Keep in mind I've only been using
Valentina for about 4 weeks and I still consider myself a novice in RB.

cheers

kim