bug'n crash

Denis Bélisle denis at gunt.com
Thu Oct 12 20:48:39 CDT 2006

Hello everyone,

I have been playing with the newest V4MD since its release, after a
long stay away from database stuff. I find the documentation still
challenging for an almost newbee like me and the examples, although
quite welcomed, are sometimes of limited help. For example, I'm
really interested in binding and I can't make it work the way I want:
that is to have a simple interface to modify data. There are two
example movies that do that: "Binding.dir" and
"Records_AddDeleteUpdate.dir". The latter works fine, through
specific functions that control the refresh of the data fields, but
the former, the one using binding, simply doesn't work – and I can't
figure out why. Both movies are very much alike in their GUI, but the
"Update" button of the "Binding" movie doesn't update anything. The
simulation reported below is from the Director Message window within
a session with Binding.dir. As you can see, after modifying,
updating, going to another record and coming back, the modified field
has retained its original value (although it seems like the cursor is
somehow aware of the new data for a while) – which is not the
anticipated behavior.

Another misdemeanor is a bug in Valentina Studio: while in the data
browser, Valentina while crash if you click on the head of a column
that has no records. Make a new database, make a new table, make a
new field, go to data browser and click on the column head – boom,
you're dead. I know, there is no point in doing that anyway, but I
would imagine that simply having the click ignored while there is no
data to sort could offer a gentler environment to the user.

So, if anyone could instruct me on how to make the "Update" of the
"Binding" movie work, it would be much appreciated. And my apologies
in advance if all of this has already been covered in this list; as I
said, I have been away for a while.

Denis

----------------- Session from the "Binding" movie

-- Welcome to Director –
-------- From the movie "Binding"
-------- (updating doesn't seem to work)

-- click "Add 10" button
-- then
put gCursor.field("fld_text").value

-- change fld_text text for "zzz"
-- clikc "Update" button
-- then
put gCursor.field("fld_text").value
put gDb.table("Person").field("fld_text").value

-- click "Last" button
-- click "First" button
-- then
put gCursor.field("fld_text").value
put gDb.table("Person").field("fld_text").value

-- and the text of member field "fld_text" has reverted to : "text
string 1"

Message window output:

* V4MD * : VCursor.field() ...
done