Cursors VS RBDB

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Oct 11 19:34:19 CDT 2006

On 10/11/06 4:12 PM, "Kim Kohen" <kim at webguide.com.au> wrote:

Hi Kim,

>> I wonder -- in your loop you do  Field("Name"), ...
>> Why not simply Field( i ) ?
> €€€€
> didn't know I could but I have changed it now.
>

>> Also better use not cursor.position, but Cursor.NextRecord()
> €€€€
> changed this also
>
> These changes have brought the cursor load time down to around the
> same as the recordset time.

Good.

> Given that they're similar in time, I'm  wondering if it's best for me to just
> stick with the recordsets.  Apart from faster loading with the Datagrid, what
> are the other  benefits of the Vcursor?

Take this point of view:

* IF you want to keep your app code to be ready for easy switch to any other
db engine you should prefer RBDB API

* IF you plan to use any RBDB API GUI Tricks, like Datacontrols, bindings
and so on -- you need RBDB.

IF above 2 options are not required, then I recommend use Native V4RB API,
because it is much more powerful and flexible

> I guess what I'm thinking is that I'm likely to limit queries to
> around 1000 rows anyway (probably have a preference so the user can
> set it). Most people aren't going to want to scroll through more than
> 1000 rows. I could see this being an issue if I needed to print large
> reports etc but that won't happen with my application.  The queries
> are very, very fast when limited to 1000, even when using the
> standard listbox.

Depend on your task and app of course.

> Finally, after a few more hours today, I'm starting to get somewhere
> with Valentina. I'm happy with the test application and it's
> performing well with the 200,000+ rows.

Enjoy! :-)