FindLinked and FindLinkedAsBitSet inconsistency

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed May 10 11:33:12 CDT 2006

On 5/10/06 11:21 AM, "Joakim Schramm" <joakim at astrocalc.com> wrote:

Hi Joakim,

> This is all VCOM
>
> I find the functions FindLinked and FindLinkedAsBitSet functions to be
> inconsistent. The names imply they do the same thing but that's not really
> true.
>
> FindLinked returns VArraySet based on parameters RecID as Integer , TableA
> as IVTable, TableBas IVTable
>
> FindLinkedAsBitSet returns VBitSet (fine so far) BUT based in parameters
> inSet as IVSet, TableA as IVTable, TableBas IVTable - with the current
> naming I expect first parameter to be RecID as Integer as well, which the
> other link functions do returning as set (if not apply to whole tables).
>
> Now FindLinkedAsBitSet rather looks like a type of "convertion" function to
> me, and honestly I am not really sure how this is supposed to work as the

You are RIGHT!

In C++ this function even is named still as ConvertBitSet()...

> Example is for FindLinked
>
> Set res = Link.FindLinked( rec, TblA, TblB )
>
> Which is same example as in other function.

> The mix of return sets IVBitSet and IVArraySet also makes these functions
> harder to use in an effective way, and harder to understand.

Explain me please, why you want to use BitSet ?

As far as I see, in YOUR Task as in many others:

    you have some RecID on left table
    you need find SEVERAL linked records on right.

FindLinked() returns ArraySet() because it is easy assume that number of
childs linked to ONE left record will be not big.