[VSERVER/V4RB] - Vserver on X.4.6, V4RB 2.3 Client Connection

Russ Tyndall fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Sun May 7 13:49:57 CDT 2006

On 5/7/06 8:14 AM, "Russ Tyndall" <fitzbew at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> On 5/7/06 4:09 AM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:
>
>> On 5/7/06 2:38 AM, "Russ Tyndall" <fitzbew at nc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This is what I am experiencing, although I do not know the cause.
>>>
>>> I have an in-house app that's been used fairly heavily by two Mac OS X
>>> machines, and is working pretty good.
>>>
>>> Yesterday, I began to tweak the Win32 version of the client app.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, whenever I open the db from Win32, the db becomes unusable by
>>> the OS X clients.  When the OS X apps try to insert a record, all the
>>
>> Do you mean by OPEN that AFTER WIN Client __connects__ to MAC Server,
>>   do some work
>>   disconnect
>>
>> Then future MAC Clients connections get problems?
>>

> Yes.  But the only "work" being done by the Win32 app is connecting and
> opening the db and updating a single field in a User table that stores login
> date/time.  After that, the Win32 app only creates a few ReadOnly vcursors
> and later closes the connection.
>
> Afterwards, when a Mac OS X (same RB 2006 app, just compiled for different
> target) machine tried to insert a record, bad data is inserted into the
> string and varchar fields.  Numeric data is stored properly.
>
> The Vstudio diagnosis displays the problem described in the earlier excerpt
> (included below).
>
>>> string/varchar fields are not properly updated; numeric fields are updated
>>> properly.  ThrowExceptions is set to True, but no exception occurs.  It's
>>> just the fields are updated with "bad" data.
>>>
>>> A diagnose from Vstudio reports this problem:
>>>
>>> *****
>>>
>>> ==========> Field: item_notes , type Text
>>>     .RecID: 1440. Segment: 1441. already in use.
>>>
>>> ******

Interesting addendum: When I compile the app as a stand-alone, and just move
it over to the Win32 machine, it throws a vexception of "table does not
exist".  Then when I remote debug the same project to the same Win32
machine, I get the behavior that I described earlier (subsequent attempts by
OS X clients to add records generate messed up records).

I'd like to also clarify that problems are found in the DB by Diagnose after
the Win32 client opens and closes it, and *before* any OS X clients touch
it.

2.3b10 is also installed on the Win32 machine, I assume. The latest
modification date in the vcomponents file is April 9.

The RB IDE has the V4RB carbon plugin installed.

--
Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC