Deceptive error message

Don Toro don at thinkingpublications.com
Thu Mar 9 15:16:23 CST 2006

What I am saying is that a badly formatted host address should not report back as an registry corruption error.

1) You can maybe check that the host address string is formatted incorrectly. So an address 192.168.0.1262 would be incorrect since the part after the last comma is four digits instead of three. But this could be hard to do since the string could be either an ip address or a dns name.

OR

2) At least report back error 1023:Connection timed out since the application cannot connect to a non-existent server.

Donard Toro
Information Manager/Computer Programmer
Thinking Publications, a division of
McKinley Companies, Inc.
424 Galloway Street, Eau Claire, WI 54703
Phone: 1.800.225.4769 (US) & 1.715.832.2488
Fax: 1.800.828.8885 (US) & 1.715.832.9082
www.ThinkingPublications.com
COMMUNICATION SOLUTIONS THAT CHANGE LIVES
Specializing in resources for individuals
with speaking, listening, reading, writing, and thinking skill deficits