DIrector CD Packaging

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Mar 9 10:36:09 CST 2006

On 3/9/06 1:52 AM, "Michael Bedar" <mike at bedar.net> wrote:

Hi Michael,

> I'm using Valentina for the first time, and I was wondering if anyone
> had any guides or pointers to setting up a Director Hybrid CD that
> uses Valentina.. I develop on a Mac, and I use Toast to make a Win/
> Mac Hybrid CD, which I have down pretty well, but I'm not sure what
> to do with the vComponents Folder.

In V4MD Reference, Deployment part, pointed that you should copy all items
of VComponents folder (but not folder itself) into folder where is your
Projector.

As I understand you will have 2 projectors -- one for MAC and one EXE for
Windows. For each of them you should use own VComponents from V4MD MAC and
V4MD WIN archives correspondently

>  From what I have been reading, I need to include the contents of the
> vComponets for both Win and Mac on the respective partitions on the
> CD... and I have a few questions about this..

yes

> First, can I download these files in a zip archive anywhere?

no

> Seems  strange that I have to install on 2 platforms to get all the files i
> need...

Well, may be you are right

> Second, Do all these files really have to be in the root directory of
> the CD?  Is there no way to hide them?

No way, because only this is how Windows or MAcOS can find dlls on default.

If you'd install them on HDD then you could put VComponents somewhere and
point that location in the PATH variable for Windows.

> I will have stub projectors
> for the PC/Mac, each of which will load the main DIR file.. do the
> vComponents files need to be in the same directory as the projector,
> or of the file that is making the first Valentina call? I suppose a
> quick and dirty solution could be an alias..

OS searches for dlls in the folder of main executable.

> Also, Are all the files required? The docs hint that some may not be.
> I really did not expect to be including 30-40 megs of application
> files and would like to minimize the size hit as much as possible.

You can skip

A) vclient dll
B) VDK.dll

> Last, what are  msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll?  are they part of
> Valentina?

This is Microsoft C++ runtime dlls. They must present