[FAQ] Importing Data

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Mar 7 21:32:08 CST 2006

On 3/7/06 7:56 PM, "Anna Kritselis" <akritselis at earthlink.net> wrote:

Hi Anna,

> I guess one question that I'm left with is - how do I import data that
> contains CR/LF, apostrophes, spanish letters?  This is something new to my
> program and certainly could be part of my problem.  My program is always going
> to need the functionality to export data then import that data to another's
> db.  These text files will be imported and exported to and from both PC and
> Macs - I'm hoping this is doable.

Yes of course. In Import/Export functions you can now even choose encoding
of text file (UTF8, Latin1, ...)

> When I use the Valentina import - the data is cut off at the first CR/LF.

> Realbasic lets you read in a line or the whole file - so I was reading in a
> line at a time and looking for a "~" char which I put in the field after my
> comment, to indicate I was at the end of the field containing the comment.  I
> read in the line, build my record and when I display it in an editfield - it
> looks fine.  After I save it to the database and then display it - I get
> squares and verticals, but not all the time.
>
> Do you have any suggestions?  I had emailed tblEvalComment.txt - that is the
> file giving me the trouble.  All the other text files I need to import have
> fields with no special characters.

I will look into that file, but rule is:

In Valentina you can specify BOTH: field and line delimiter.

    IF other dbms allow the same you can use symbols as „ ÷ ¬
    then you easy import/export data.

    e.g. MySQL allow do that. Access do not allow line delimiter.