V4RB 2.3 doesn't respect case-insensitivity when inserting new data

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Jun 28 21:08:05 CDT 2006

On 6/28/06 7:40 PM, "Dave Addey" <listmail1 at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

Hi Dave,

> I didn't follow this up in March - sorry.  But it's still a problem in V4RB
> 2.3 for me.
>
> Here's the problem:
>
> I have these collation settings for a table:
>
> Alternate Handling: UCOL_NON_IGNORABLE
> Case First: UCOL_OFF
> Case Level: UCOL_OFF
> French Collation: UCOL_OFF
> Quaternary Mode: UCOL_OFF
> Normalization Mode: UCOL_OFF
> Strength: UCOL_PRIMARY
>
> I have checked that individual fields do not have their own collation
> settings.

Q: you have set Strength = Primary for this one table only ?
    or all your tables have the same settings?

If all the same then all you need is:

    db = new Vdatabase

    db.Create

    db.SetCollationAttribute( kStrength ) = kPrimary

> When I first insert some data into the database, I find that my LIKE
> searches on this data are not case-insensitive.  However, if I quit my
> application, and then launch it again, using the same database, I then find
> that my searches are case-insensitive.  If I drop all tables from the
> database, re-create the tables, and re-import, then the same problem occurs.
>
> Any idea what is happening here?  I would submit a copy of my database to
> Mantis, but it seems that the problem goes away as soon as I quit the
> application - so the database I get afterwards works fine :-(

It sounds to me like JUST only created objects of Vtable do not pickup your
settings into work. After close, on next open they correctly setup self
reading info from sys tables.

As I see to reproduce your bug it needs NOT your database, but YOUR or
similar small project that
    create db and tables and set settings
    add records
    do LIKE search  -> see problem