Support for Panther

Shaun Wexler dev at macfoh.com
Tue Jun 27 14:45:34 CDT 2006

On Jun 27, 2006, at 2:19 PM, Steve Albin wrote:

> It may be obvious to everyone but me,  but I am assuming that this
> talk of not supporting Panther in future Valentina releases refers
> to development environments only.
>
> Dropping support for Panther means only developers will need to
> upgrade to Tiger and not end users of our apps, correct?

No, this means all users of the new "All-In-One" VLight.dylib would
require Tiger or greater to run apps which use the new streamlined
libraries, or lose some functionality when run on Panther.  App's
would have to include the full set of ICU library files and
individual Valentina dylib's to run as-is on Panther.

FYI, I created the VX project to build an efficient Enterprise
Objects layer atop the already-fast Valentina engine, and make it
even faster.  In combining VShared and VKernel, as well as utilizing
the ICU library which is built into Tiger, Valentina.framework is
embeddable into app's at only 21 MB total, and enjoys faster internal
function calls because VShared base classes are statically linked
with VKernel.

Ruslan is taking my initial work on VX a step further, and is
rewriting the core unicode string classes to use C-function calls of
the native ICU, rather than ICU's own C++ wrapper classes, and in
doing so, he has removed some dispatch and wrapper overhead from
FBL::String.  The current stumbling point is that the ICU lib
included in Panther does not have case-sensitive unicode Regular
Expression matching which is required for non-Western language
encodings, but it does appear in Tiger.

--
Shaun Wexler
MacFOH