VServer Questions

Russ Tyndall fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Thu Jun 15 13:44:45 CDT 2006

On 6/15/06 11:32 AM, "Trevor DeVore" <lists at mangomultimedia.com> wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2006, at 8:23 AM, Russ Tyndall wrote:
>>
>> Trevor, just curious:
>>
>> When you logout of the ID, does Vserver terminate?
>>
>> Also, when you close the Terminal session, does it terminate?
>>
>> On my OS X.4.6 installation, Vserver starts up when the machine
>> boots up and
>> remains open until a user logs out.  If I start it up from
>> terminal, it
>> quits when I quit the terminal session. This happens even though
>> the Vserver
>> process is running as Root.
>>
>> I would love to know how to get it to start and stay "up" whether
>> someone
>> logs in/logs off, etc.. I'm sure there is some way to do it via
>> terminal or
>> by adjusting some unix setting(s) on OS X --- but I haven't
>> stumbled across
>> it yet.
>
> I just started playing with VServer so I haven't experimented with
> this.  This works for me though (VServer stays open after closing
> terminal window):
>
> sudo echo
> sudo /Library/StartupItems/VServer_Office/VServer_Office start &
>
> I got this example from http://www.entropy.ch/software/MacOSx/mysql/

Well, this solves part of my problem.  I can start Vserver in Terminal using
your suggestions and Vserver stays running even when I close the terminal
session.

But, when the user logs out, Vserver still quits. This is on X.4.6, Vserver
2.3, Protocol 2.0, Kernel 2.3.

This expectation (that Vserver remains running despite a user logging off)
is rational, correct?  The reason I question this at all is that I visited a
client site yesterday in which they had servers sitting around in an obvious
"logged in" state.  It occurred to me that perhaps I was being naïve in
expecting this.

--
Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC