[V4RB] GoToRecID(xx)

Chuck Pelto cbpelto at pcisys.net
Fri Jul 7 08:53:09 CDT 2006

On Jul 7, 2006, at 6:28 AM, Joakim Schramm wrote:

> I am not using V4RB but COM verision of Valentina, so syntax may
> differ
> slightly,

Could be a factor in this discussion.

> but if you have the value for RecID you would simply do something
> like
>
> Table("TableName").RecID = myRecID

> And you are at the correct record. You have to keep in mind that
> you can't
> "Set" the value of RecID your self as it's set by Valentina and
> then is
> readonly OR you "set" it to go to that record. I think it's very
> intuitive,
> you just have to breal lose of your old pattern :-)

I understand that....now. And, I suppose Mr. Mounce does as well.

My point is that this approach is similar to HPs infamous, if you
will excuse the expression, 'reverse Polish notation' (RPN) that was
so confusing to many people who used calculators in the mid-to-late 70s.

In most calls relating to navigation there is a blatantly obvious
verbiage used that indicates that one is going to another record. In
this new V4RB2 approach it is NOT obvious. It is 'implied'.

The amount of time that we, everyone who has had some form of
difficulty with getting the new RPN approach, is far greater than the
amount of time it would have taken you and Ruslan to re-implement the
GoToRecID call. Not to mention the intangible factors of frustration
and time spent in explaining.

Regards,

Chuck