[V4Rb] Checking for server timeout

Charles Yeomans yeomans at desuetude.com
Sun Jan 22 11:22:01 CST 2006

On Jan 22, 2006, at 4:54 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 1/22/06 12:32 AM, "Charles Yeomans" <yeomans at desuetude.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Charles,
>
>> When connecting to a remote database, does VDatabase.IsOpen return
>> false if the connection to the server has timed out due to inactivity?
>
> Not sure, but I think yes, because
>
>     * Server have close connection for non-active client
>         e.g. 5 minutes later.
>
>     * client become aware about problem on its next attempt touch
> socket
>         so e.g. 30 minutes later. Any first command client execute
>         will throw error.

What I was doing was just checking for error &h82509, "Connection timed
out".  Sometimes I get this error, but sometimes the result of
attempting a connection is a stream read error.

I'll try VDatabase.IsOpen and see what happens.

> Charles, Vserver class, as I remember, have property
>
>     Vserver.ConnectionAlive
>
> About isOpen() not remember exactly now.

All I see is a property VServer.Available as Boolean.  The
documentation suggests that this property checks whether the server is
up.