[V4RB2] Convert_v1_v2 problem

Stan Busk maxprog at mac.com
Thu Feb 23 18:25:13 CST 2006

Hi,

Convert_v1_v2 function doesn't really convert, it creates a new
database. Ok.

But, I think deleted records should be converted as well. Why?

What if I have created a field in my table to store the record number
and then have access to it using it? If I delete records, it doesn't
matter, existing records 'myrec' field still contain the right value.

However, if you convert a v1 file to v2 format, all those deleted
records are not copied so BOOM you end up with records where your
special 'myrec' field is no longer pointing to itself but somewhere
else!

Worse is if you use that 'myrec' field as a value on another table.

I did not found out until a few days ago, actually it is just a
matter of adding code to refresh values but I think the Convert_v1_v2
function should generate a file in the *exact same state* as the
original, that includes the deleted records.

~/Stan