LocaleName (Rephrase)

Ivan Smahin ivan_smahin at valentina-db.com
Wed Dec 13 15:14:02 CST 2006

Hello Joakim,

> Hi Ivan,

> So ok most things clear to me :-) so Locale IS I/O encoding right?

I/O encoding is sort of locale setting per session.

> Just one thing refering to what Ruslan said that Locale effect indexing,
> does this also then include order of sorting, like in Czech CH is counted as
> 1 character and comes before H, not D, this LocaleName effect then?

I/O encoding does not affect this.

Look it seems you mix up different things all together.
StorageEncoding
IOEncoding
LocaleName

When  you  set  I/O  encoding  you just create some convertor for data
input/output operations - nothing more.

When  you  set  storage  encoding  you just create some convertor for data
storage (leads to reindexing). And this setting is stored to the database.

The sorting depends on collator - not converters.
When  you set LocaleName you create appropriate collator and surely it
leads  to  reindexing.  This setting is also stored to the database. So
next time you open database you have the Locale and storage encoding you set before.

> You say I should set I/O encode each time I open - if I set it - but I
> checked, if I change LocaleName in code, same Locale is used next time db
> opens? So if I set this I only need to do it once, preferable at install or
> first time open only, I think.

Yes.
Again,  if you work with UTF16 data you don't need to set neither - I/O
Encoding nor Storage encoding.

 Ivan                            mailto:ivan_smahin ÎÁ valentina-db.com