benchmark

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Wed Dec 13 02:01:50 CST 2006

Hi,

> > By the way Ruslan, is there any "technical" problems by having both
> > ObjectPtr and Binary links, linking same records?
>
> Totally the same?
>
> What sense in this ???

Of course this doesn't make sense, but the result might be of interest :-)

I did this and added one record into db with my program, close app. Then
open Vstudio to look and it was interesting. I open Data Browser with left
table in top. I select the ObjectPtr link and in list below it shows 1
record correct.

I then change to the Binarry link and what - it show 3 same records in list,
all marked 1! I don't know if this is of vstudio or db engine. But in
anycase I select first in list of 3 and delete it. This blank first field
(VarChar) and set all other fields to 0 values, except for the ObjectPtr
field which is set to NULL - But all 3 records still show in list.

I change to ObjectPtr link and no record in list (correct), I change back to
Binary link and again 3 records with zero data is shown.

I can't really say this is bug because it's a design bug to do so, but I
think it maybe point at some "hole" in internal structure of data handling,
were one thing may screw up other side. I think you should NOT ALLOW this
way of seting up links. If I set one type of link (binary or objectptr) 1:M
you should not allow me setting the other type same way. ObjectPtr 1:M with
Binary M:M should be ok though as that can make sense.

Ok this was just first test. I will now remove ObjectPtr in DB and try again
and see if Binary alone behave correct only show 1 record in list below.

/Joakim