Problems init Valentina

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Sun Dec 10 13:15:43 CST 2006

Well I agree this looks to me as best too, problem is just with PATH, it
does have a limit of 1024 chars, at least prior XP but I think there too. So
if everyone do this there will be problem so obviously it wasn't ment this
way. I looked at my PATH as see you do it the "bad" way, not adding in the
end but in front. This is beetter in point of faster access, but "unpolite"
to other programs I think. Well your decision...

> * And now you install your FIVE apps here also:
>         /Program Files/Astrocalc/VComponents_win_vc
>         /Program Files/Astrocalc/App1
>         /Program Files/Astrocalc/App2
>         /Program Files/Astrocalc/App3
>         /Program Files/Astrocalc/App4
>         /Program Files/Astrocalc/App5

I do but some files have problem when installing as XP admin and open as
normal user. I have set up my structure to deal with this though using
Documents folder.

> This is THE BEST approach IMHO.

To me too, question is just if it works, not only now but also in 6
months...

> >> Also, it's not recommended to set Path, it's a bad and
> lazy habbit, why?
>
> >> Path can only have Len=1024 so there is risk of not enough len,
> >> solution to put in beginning is also bad as you may push
> others out
> >> of the next, resulting in errors. In System32 Path is
> automatic and
> >> it's faster too. I put in subfolder though to keep it organized.
> >
> > I'm  very  doubt it is recommended by Microsoft to make the things
> > this way.
>
> And subfolder in system32 works?
> Windows see our dlls there?

Unfortunately no, not w/o setting Path :-( I guess I will have to do this
after all then as I agree just putting everything in System32 is bad.

> Ivan, Vcomponents/vresources folder IS REQUIRED.
> It contains XML files with errors.
> Valentina.Init() parse it on start.
>
> I am sure that in WIKI/kernel/VComponents describe elements
> of this folder.

Yes this is mentioned in docs, but I think you also should add in VCOM
referense doc that VCOM.DLL must be distributed and registered. By the way,
I did once nice bookmarking of VCOM Ref pdf and sent to you but you never
used my work. Pitty as now I have to bookmark again new docs, and if I send
this again to you will you now use it? It makes pdf doc much easier to use
really.

/Joakim