Valentina problem with a limited user on Windows XP

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Dec 2 14:15:33 CST 2006

On 12/2/06 11:37 AM, "Joakim Schramm" <joakim at astrocalc.com> wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> Can you confirm there is no problem using Valenina with a
>> limited user (i.e.
>> non-admin) on Windows XP ?
>>
>> The bug 2007 is still "new". If the bug is confirmed, I would
>> really appreciate I you can fix it before releasing 2.5.
>> http://www.valentina-db.com/bt/view.php?id=2007
>>
>> Could some other developers try the test in bug 2007 and
>> confirm the problem ?
>>
> Pierre,
> The problem is with XP (and Vista I think) that you can't put the files just
> anywere if a limited user should be able to use them with read/write
> capabilities. As an example, as limited user can't write under Program
> Files, files installed by Admin. I am not 100% sure about the rules, but I
> think the correct place to put db files being accesable read/write to both
> Admin and Limited is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
> Data\Company\etc. or ..\All users\Shared Documents\Company\etc. There is
> also the Common Files dir, but I am not sure of the status of this location
> but think it's a "left over" from the Win 95/98 days and mostly hang around
> for backward compability reasons. I wont swore on this though.
>
> Actually I brought this to focus in another tread started this morning, as I
> am about to release a program using Valentina for the first time. The whole
> thing that lead me to Valentina was actually this issue, some of my users
> started to complain that "suddenly" their program didn't work anymore as
> they got write permission errors. Many of my users are women actaully,
> typically installed on the husbands computer. So what happens? Husband
> installs the program and all works fine, for a while. Then one day husband
> sits infron of computer and wife need to quickly access my program and do so
> from husbands Admin account, fine. Next time she run my program from her own
> account and BOM! As she run in Admin it wrote a file and it changed its
> rights and now program only runs from Admin.

So it is not an issue of LOCATION of this file, but issue of permission or a
file.

I think thee same can be for Pierre files.
Pierre, you MOVE files to user account ?
Have you try CREATE them right under user account ?

----
Kiril have spend few hours trying reproduce this issue.
Main problem was:

    * he have made projector in Director.
    * he work on WIN2000
    * here was no problems for user account.

    * when he have try test XP, project just did not run.
        we are not cool Director developers so problem
        was with projector itself I think.

So we have give up for now ...

----
I very doubt that issue is related to Valentina, Pierre.
You need really check all such issues as locations, permissions, ...

I hope you have not forget put VComponents folder into your projector,
When you move to user account your projector ..