Valentina problem with a limited user on Windows XP

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Sat Dec 2 10:37:40 CST 2006

Pierre,
The problem is with XP (and Vista I think) that you can't put the files just
anywere if a limited user should be able to use them with read/write
capabilities. As an example, as limited user can't write under Program
Files, files installed by Admin. I am not 100% sure about the rules, but I
think the correct place to put db files being accesable read/write to both
Admin and Limited is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Company\etc. or ..\All users\Shared Documents\Company\etc. There is
also the Common Files dir, but I am not sure of the status of this location
but think it's a "left over" from the Win 95/98 days and mostly hang around
for backward compability reasons. I wont swore on this though.

Actually I brought this to focus in another tread started this morning, as I
am about to release a program using Valentina for the first time. The whole
thing that lead me to Valentina was actually this issue, some of my users
started to complain that "suddenly" their program didn't work anymore as
they got write permission errors. Many of my users are women actaully,
typically installed on the husbands computer. So what happens? Husband
installs the program and all works fine, for a while. Then one day husband
sits infron of computer and wife need to quickly access my program and do so
from husbands Admin account, fine. Next time she run my program from her own
account and BOM! As she run in Admin it wrote a file and it changed its
rights and now program only runs from Admin.

Regards,
Joakim