[V4RB] Macho VComponents folder is 22mb???

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Aug 25 12:09:57 CDT 2006

On 8/25/06 2:13 AM, "Shaun Wexler" <dev at macfoh.com> wrote:

>> Sounds interesting. But not all developers/apps can rely on online
>> connection.
>
> Exactly, which this fulfills by allowing the installer for Valentina
> to be embedded within the app.  The developer can choose to offer a
> downloadable app version which contains a "lite" plugin that will use
> the existing Valentina installation in /Library/Frameworks, and/or can
> download a newer version from the internet (if no embedded copy is
> included in its plug-in package).  Simple; some of my other apps use
> the same technique.
>
>> What scary me in this design: is versions of frameworks or dlls.
>>
>> Yes I know that frameworks can contain few versions.
>> But then we again go in trap of big size?
>
> NO!  Smaller, because lack of individual dylibs and stubs, etc, and it
> places all resources in a well-known location and they are loadable
> using standard bundle API's.
>
>> Valentina is in active development, we produce versions not so often
>> like
>> this was in 1.x but still quite often.
>>
>> * For example, how you image shipping of 2.4.1 and 2.4.2 in such
>> design?
>>
>> * How will co-exist on the same computer 2 apps:
>>     one made with V4RB 2.4
>>     another with V4REV 2.4.2   ?
>
> When you reach a point of version incompatibility, then the framework
> version in bumped from "A" to "B", etc, and a framework can itself
> contain multiple versions within the same bundle if necessary.

Right, and this is where I see this trap of size.
    Framework with A + B + C will have 21 * 3 = 63 MB right?

> This  allows backwards compatibility for older app's, because they are built
> against a certain framework version, even though the framework path  points to
> the bundle wrapper directory... that's why frameworks exist,  for this reason.

Yes, I understand this...

Can work this:

    App1 install VSDK.framework - vers A

Later on the same computer, other installer of other app2 installs
                 VSDK.framework - ver B

So can they go into the same folder and live together?