Views, pointers, ... // COM licensing

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Aug 25 10:30:39 CDT 2006

On 8/25/06 2:31 AM, "fellerd at cox.net" <fellerd at cox.net> wrote:

>> Lets clarify. We talk about VIEW feature of SQL standard?
>> Or about some Access-only feature?
> To me a query, view or virtual table are all the same. It's a select
> statement that may have one, two, or more tables with at least one field or
> more returned as the result and saved for future use. Now that it is saved
> it can act as if it were an actual table from the database. Since it is now
> a virtual table it can be embedded into another query.
>
>> I can agree with you at this point...about easy debugging and RAD...
> Exactly, I am RAD to the MAX!. And sub-selects really really suck!!!
>
>> May be Access do just stupid thing:
>>     * produce new tmp table and copy there all selected records?
> No, pointers. No temp tables. Its very fast. Actually you can update records
> from the source table, even if the resulting table is embedded 5 queries
> deep.
>
>> You can self simulate such behavior in Valentina EASY. But this is slow
>> because you copy records.
> That's why MS uses pointers to the orig source tables no matter how embedded
> queries deep it is.

This sounds interesting...

We have ObjectPtr field, please read about it in our docs.

It is few times faster of Foreign Key,
because it is practically direct pointer.
Sounds like we also can easy do such pointers...
In fact we usually keep them just in RAM.

Can you give me URL on MS docs about this feature and its tech description?