[V4RB] Macho VComponents folder is 22mb???

Shaun Wexler dev at macfoh.com
Thu Aug 24 20:38:40 CDT 2006

On Aug 24, 2006, at 7:42 PM, Russ Tyndall wrote:

> For me (selfishly), I think I would rather contend with the 24mb
> file sizes
> and stay attractive to Jaguar and Panther users rather than *still*
> have 12
> mb downloads and only support Tiger.
>
> I wonder about the peril of V4RB only supporting Tiger, when RB
> officially
> supports 10.1 and beyond; then again, new RB users shopping around
> for db
> plugins will surely be most interested in Tiger+, so perhaps this is
> not
> sensible caution.
>
> Of course, you (Ruslan) must decide what's best for Valentina; if
> continued
> support for Jaguar and Panther consume resources that will take away
> from
> bug fixes, optimizations and new features then something has just
> got to
> give.
>
> I *do* believe it's critical to retain the ability to distribute
> stand-alone
> drag-n-drop installed apps (like we do now for Mach-O) packages;
> some of the
> conversation about /Library/Frameworks is confusing me.

To sum it up, I can create a plug-in which is placed in the Contents/
PlugIns folder of an application's bundle, and the developer would use
an existing API (ie some sample code) to load and call the main
function of the plug-in, which would then proceed to check for an
existing install of Valentina.framework in the system hierarchy or the
plug-in's own bundle, and if non-existent or the appropriate version
is not found, then it would offer the user an opportunity to download
and automatically install it from the developers own (or paradigma's)
server.  The code would install this into /Library/Frameworks and
optionally place a copy into the plug-in bundle to make the app
essentially self-contained.  The code would then load the framework
and link it into the executable, and then app could launch.  This way,
developers could offer a small download file for low-bandwidth users,
initial demos or incremental updates, or the full download which
already contains the installer package, for those with high-bandwidth
access.  If the user owns several Valentina-based applications, they
would be able to share the same framework.  The only caveat is that
Ruslan and crew must ensure they don't break binary compatibility
between versions (ie minor version updates must all be compatible),
otherwise the framework would have to gain another compatibility
version within (in which case the main framework in /Library/
Frameworks would then be larger than the version-specific copy within
the app's bundle.)

The net effect for developers is that they add a small function
snippet into their app's startup, and enjoy trouble-free database
management for versioning, and dramatically-reduced app size.  When
the developer updates his app, upgrades would only be a small
download, rather than containing the entire Valentina.framework or
VComponents folder.
--
Shaun Wexler
MacFOH