[V4RB] Macho VComponents folder is 22mb???

Russ Tyndall fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Thu Aug 24 22:42:43 CDT 2006

On 8/24/06 6:48 PM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

>> I am hoping to build a Universal Binary version of my application as soon as
>> RB 2006r4 is stable and released.  I would love to be able to use a
>> 10.4-only version of V4RB 2.4.2 when I do, rather than having to use a very
>> large 10.3 version of V4RB 2.4.2, when I don't need the 10.3 support.
>
> Well, may be really we will need produce 2 archives of 2.5
>
>   V4RB 2.5        with 10.3       big
>
>   V4RB 2.5        with 10.4       small

What will the V4RB developer experience be like after 2006R4(UB) and V4RB
2.5(UB)?

Is V4RB PEF (via Library/CFMSupport) going away? If I select the PEF format
build checkbox in the IDE, then there must be a vComponents folder in
CFMSupport?  Will this require a separate V4RB plugin like today?

Is it correct that UB's in 2006R4(UB) will be Mach-O format (a package)
only?  Such builds will need a separate plugin for the IDE? Like today?

Assuming that the RB IDE keeps a Mach-O (non-UB) build checkbox, will we
need a different V4RB plugin for non-UB Mach-O builds?

How will debugging in the RB IDE be affected?

**

I have been puzzling over whether it's the right time for Valentina to drop
support for 10.3 and earlier. (I'm running 2.4x on X.2.8 perfectly fine, so
really I think we are talking about dropping support for Jaguar also.)  My
own (selfish!) opinion is that it is too early --- that we should wait for
X.5 to drop support for X.3 and earlier.  The price for continued support of
Jaguar and Panther post-UB is very large apps?  I think Mac users are
already getting used to this -- Vstudio is 82mb, iTunes is 61mb, GoogleEarth
is 92mb, all UB apps.  Everybody's apps are getting huge.

Even "disposing" of the ICU libraries by using the built-in X.4 libraries,
my V4RB app will still be 40mb (assuming the RB UB is twice the size of the
PPC build).  If vcomponents retain the ICU library, my app will expands to
80mb probably...I am looking at downloads of 12mb vs. 24mb for my users
(assuming 70% compression).

For me (selfishly), I think I would rather contend with the 24mb file sizes
and stay attractive to Jaguar and Panther users rather than *still* have 12
mb downloads and only support Tiger.

I wonder about the peril of V4RB only supporting Tiger, when RB officially
supports 10.1 and beyond; then again, new RB users shopping around for db
plugins will surely be most interested in Tiger+, so perhaps this is not
sensible caution.

Of course, you (Ruslan) must decide what's best for Valentina; if continued
support for Jaguar and Panther consume resources that will take away from
bug fixes, optimizations and new features then something has just got to
give.

I *do* believe it's critical to retain the ability to distribute stand-alone
drag-n-drop installed apps (like we do now for Mach-O) packages; some of the
conversation about /Library/Frameworks is confusing me.

--
Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC