[V4RB] Macho VComponents folder is 22mb???

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Aug 24 23:49:26 CDT 2006

On 8/24/06 6:25 PM, "Dave Wooldridge" <ebutterfly at comcast.net> wrote:

Hi Dave,

Also you can remove VSDK dll if you do not need use Convert_1_2() method.
It is another 1MB.

Soon it is expected to get REALbasic and plugins to be universal.

--------------
Guys, be prepared to see size jump in about 4 (four) !!! Times.

    2 times because GCC produce 2 times bigger code than CodeWarrior did.
    2 times more because UNIVERSAL i.e. PPC + x86 code will present.

    also I hate that Apple use ZIP for installers, while free Inno Setup
    on Windows use more cool compression. On Windows we get archives
    in 4.5MB, while on MAC best size is about 8.5Mb.

VComponents folder for Universal build is about 60MB,
Compressed it is about 17 MB.

Main overhead comes from ICU.

We already have discuss in this list, that Shaun have found way drop away
ICU from VComponents folder and use ICU from OS X itself. But this step
require drop of 10.3 support.

We have agree on this list, that we will wait 10.5 release, to drop 10.3.
IF people here will agree do this step now, we will be self only happy.

Shaun, was able get VComponents Universal built by GCC about 20MB as I
remember. In compressed size about 4-5MB it seems. Quite acceptable.