Valentina Studio

Russ Tyndall fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Mon Aug 14 07:31:00 CDT 2006

On 8/14/06 1:13 AM, "Kim Kohen" <kim at webguide.com.au> wrote:

> OK, scrub that, I _thought_ I had it working. I had a connection to
> localhost but was actually creating the databases separately under
> Valentina 2.x databases rather than under localhost via the server.
> It seems I can create and edit local (non server based) dbs fine but
> can't do the same with the server.
>
> Which raises the question, if I create some local databases, how do I
> get server to recognise and serve them?

If you want to create them using Vstudio, and you are in the Schema Browser
view, select "localhost" in the leftmost window and then from the File menu
option, New Database...and select your Vserver connection.  After that, you
can create tables and fields on the new Vserver db just as if it was a local
db.

Databases created in such a way are automatically recognized by Vserver.

You can also create databases in local mode, drag them to your Vserver
Databases folder (specified in your .ini file) and then register them using
the Server Admin option under the Vstudio Server menu.

> Placing them into the VServer/
> Databses folder doesn't seem to work (BTW, I'm reading as many docs
> and the wiki as I go but there's a few holes in the docs which is
> making life difficult)

Yes, speaking as a customer, I can testify that Valentina products evolve
much faster than the docs can keep up.  However, I have volunteered to help
with the docs and never (yet) kept that promise, so I am as much to blame as
anybody at Paradigma.

> I'm trying to get all this sorted out before I start writing a
> program to connect - I don't want to be confusing errors between an
> application and the database.

This morning, while experimenting, I got a Vstudio crash while trying to
re-connect after disconnecting. (X.4.7, DP G4)  But I re-launched Studio and
it seemed fine.

--
Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC