Table structure?

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Fri Apr 28 22:31:12 CDT 2006

[snip]
> > So my question is; I can devide the 500 000 records in to about 300
> > "logical" groups related to certain records in T1, would it
> be an idea
> > to split up this data in say 300 tables to easily exclude
> most of the
> > irrelative data to lookup in?
>
> No, this is bad idea I think.
>
> Do you have in your table some field, WHICH divide records
> into 300 groups?
> I.e. This fields have 300 distinct values?
> I think you have such field, and it is ENOUGH...
>
> We do not split into separate tables people born in 1970-1979
> and 1980-1989.
> Right?
>
> Of course, in some rare projects may be this will have sense,
> but you have generally speaking NOT huge database.

I know, it's not a huge db, but a bit special. Let me explain...

This is an "Atlas" database (none graphical, just data) so I have following,
in a relational schema:

Table1 (A place in the world)
Place|LatDeg|LatMin|LatSec|LatCompass|LongDeg|LogMin|LongSec|LongCompass|Cou
ntry|TimeZoneID

Table2 (Timezones in the world)
DateTimeOfChange|ChangeVal|Ptr_Country|Ptr_TimeZoneID

I know how to set this up in a "traditional" way, but I wanted to use unique
features of Valentina, preferably BinaryLinks as they seem very clean and
simple to me, and probably the fastest. I am not sure though if BinaryLinks
are usable here, but maybe ObjectPtr?

How it works in practice in program is, a place are picked, either from
returned SearchCollection or from List. Next, based on country AND ZoneID
(most countries have just 1 but some have over 300) a timezone value are
returned with passed DateTime as criteria. Quite simple yes in Relational,
but I like to learn and use something new and is still unfamilar with
Valentina. My way of thinking though is if I learn and understand something
difficult, then I understand everything, sort of...

Joakim