collating multiple databases

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Apr 27 00:15:09 CDT 2006

On 4/26/06 11:56 PM, "Shaun Wexler" <dev at macfoh.com> wrote:

>> Let's clarify... To multiple databases where?
>>
>> * on the same HDD under the same Vserver?
>> or
>> * located on different Vservers?
>>
>> I think you CAN self run queries to REMOTE dbs in separate threads.
>> So it is
>> up to you.
>>
>> Queries to Vserver also can be done in separate threads, but result
>> will
>> depend on how it schedule work...
>
> A user will have some search criteria executed on the client app.
> The client app connects to 1 or more servers, one of which might be
> the localhost server process, and the local server might have 1 or
> more different databases open (public-cache, company-cache, private/
> local, etc).

Okay I see.

> Does Valentina require a separate thread for each
> query, and block it waiting on results?!!

Yes of course. What sense go forward if you do not have cursor as result of
query.

Or what sense move forward if you do not know yet if your insert/update is
successful. May be it will fail because you put not unique value?

So you cannot chose where to move until you get response.

> If so, then this is a definite area we can improve upon.

I afraid no.

> Everything in MacFOH is designed to be async.

I think DBMS is other task.

> The GUI is never blocked waiting on an operation, nor
> is any other ongoing task.  This is one reason I think it will be of
> great benefit to have source code access, if not to modify, then to
> know what is going on and work around it.

You can put GUI into one thread and not block it by waiting response from
different servers, which are executed in different threads.

> I should get a System Profile from your own Mac Dual-G4, etc, and I
> could show you how fast and smoothly MacFOH runs!

I have DUAL G5/2.0