collating multiple databases

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Apr 26 22:38:28 CDT 2006

On 4/26/06 9:30 PM, "Shaun Wexler" <dev at macfoh.com> wrote:

Hi Shaun,

> Can you describe to me how best to access multiple databases in the  client?
>
> In some cases, MacFOH may need to access several database  servers and
> disk-based databases simultaneously.

> There will be a  local cache of the public database, plus caches of any other
> servers  [such as per-company], as well as a per-host local private database,
> and possibly a per-user local private database.

> Users will need to  SELECT from one-or-many of these databases simultaneously,
> and  typically will deal with the data as if it were all from one  database.

> I will have to store any changes made to the cached  databases, and then
> synchronize all with the real databases whenever  the user goes online.

I see.

Answer is

1) no need to do anything special!

2) note, that when you work with LOCAL and REMOTE database the difference is
only how you create that database object:

    db1 = new Vdatabase()
    db2 = new Vdatabase() // another local
    db3 = new Vdatabase( "localhost", "sa", "sa" )

Future any else code work with db1, db2, db3 without any difference.

Well exists one more point to keep in mind. If you want to have several
databases inside of single connection to Vserver then you need to use Verver
class to establish that connection, then create db objects with help of this
Vserver object:

    db3 = new Vdatabase( srv )
    db4 = new Vdatabase( srv )

> Also a question; does Valentina use SSL for its socket transactions?

Not yet, but it looks to be not big problem.

Also note, We use in Valentina Server the ACE framework.
Cool framework for development of network apps.
You can find it on google.

ACE do have SSL support as I remember.

> Just a bit of detail regarding encryption will help me understand  better.  I
> have read all the .pdf doc's so far, but I do not recall  about its
> connections.

Btw, we have now in WIKI even more info than PDFs.
In nearest weaks I am going finish port to wiki, and drop
all PDFs except References.

All manuals, tutorials, example guides, faq, tips -- will present in WIKI.