[V4RB][VSRV] - Status of Connection

Russ Tyndall fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Sat Apr 22 16:23:14 CDT 2006

On 4/22/06 12:56 PM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> On 4/22/06 4:08 PM, "Russ Tyndall" <fitzbew at nc.rr.com> wrote:

>> There is some discussion about this in the archives, but it left me a bit
>> puzzled.
>>
>> What is the best way to verify a Vserver Client connection is still alive
>> (has not timed out, etc..)?  Db.IsOpen?
>
> If I not mistake Vserver.Available property exists.

The docs say I have to provide an Admin user/password to construct a Vserver
object.  I guess that is ok, at least in my case where the app will only be
distributed to a few well-known users on a controlled network.  If I have to
change vServer admin/password Ids, it will not be a big deal to roll out a
new version.  If I was rolling out an app into more uncontrolled
environment, I'm not sure if I'd want to build an admin id/password into an
app; a bad guy could really put hurt on me with a copy of vStudio if they
sniff out that ID/password.  Or is some kind of security built in?

Of course, if the docs are wrong and Vserver does not require admin user
ids, then this is moot.

>> Also saw a suggestion that the client should just try to perform whatever
>> action it wishes (like build a recordset) and then just cope with any
>> errors.  Are there reliable error codes?
>
> Yes, please check Vcomponents/Resources/.xml files for error codes.

I have more questions about this, I will send a different email for the sake
of topic manageability.

> Ivan right now work on a new protocol. Already 2 weeks.
> He have made a lots of new tests.

Great.  Will this affect any existing 2.3 apps (local or remote)? Or will
the new protocol be invisible to existing code?

Russ