[V4RB][VSRV] - Status of Connection

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Apr 22 19:56:47 CDT 2006

On 4/22/06 4:08 PM, "Russ Tyndall" <fitzbew at nc.rr.com> wrote:

Hi Russ,

> There is some discussion about this in the archives, but it left me a bit
> puzzled.
>
> What is the best way to verify a Vserver Client connection is still alive
> (has not timed out, etc..)?  Db.IsOpen?

If I not mistake Vserver.Available property exists.

> Also saw a suggestion that the client should just try to perform whatever
> action it wishes (like build a recordset) and then just cope with any
> errors.  Are there reliable error codes?

Yes, please check Vcomponents/Resources/.xml files for error codes.

> Discussion in January suggested future changes in protocols to vserver would
> affect this question. Were they ever implemented, or are they part of the
> current protocol changes being implemented?

Ivan right now work on a new protocol. Already 2 weeks.
He have made a lots of new tests.

In general, we want to have the same code working with local and remote db,
right? So you just do what you need and have try-catch to catch any
exception, then decide what todo in case of any error.

Of course if you write only LOCAL code, you can think in one way,

If you do ONLY REMOTE code, you can from start write it in that way, .e.g.
You can write special code and special logic to prevent user even to see
that connection was lost and reconnect automatically.