Example stack provided crashes

Robert Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Fri Apr 14 22:27:18 CDT 2006

Okay, I did the whole example stack thingummy and was pretty proud of
myself, that is until I put DatabaseCreate in the openStack handler
of the stack. From then on opening the stack crashed Revolution to
the desktop. Hmmm... I must have done something wrong, right?

So I figured out a trick way to edit the script of the stack and
commented out the call to the function, and all is well, right? Well
I can open the stack, but if I call DatabaseCreate from the message
box, I still crash to desktop!!!

So I started comparing my code with the code from the finished sample
stack that came with the documentation. Well there are significant
differences! Dang! That is troubling! You would think it would be
identical.

So I get a brainstorm. How about I open the PROVIDED UNTARNISHED
sample stack and call DatabaseCreate from the message box and see
what happens? Gee, whattyaknow? IT ALSO crashes to desktop!!

So I commented out ALL my code, and pasted the example stack's code
into my stack, and stepped through the code. When I get to the line:

get VDatabase_Create( mDatabase, dbPAth, "kDscDatBlbInd" )

it returns an error. That means mDatabase is set to the value of the
error. The next time I try to do something that references mDatabase,
it crashes to desktop, obviously because it's referencing a pointer
to a table that is actually an error code! Ouch!!!

Again my apologies, but I simply do not have time to troubleshoot a
problem with a stack that was provided as an example of how to
properly implement Valentina when it crashes to desktop. I know I can
trap for errors, that isn't the point. I shouldn't be getting errors
at all with a stack provided by the developer.

If this were shareware, I wouldn't complain, mostly because shareware
is, well usually pretty cheap. This was not cheap. I have SQL
databases I can use. I wanted something I could deploy with an app
that had the ability to create local temporary databases as well as
access to full sql. This seemed like the ticket at the time. Very
promising. The trouble is, I have lost all confidence that this
software functions as advertised. There is errors in the docs. There
are errors in the sample code. Am I to believe there are no errors in
the actual libraries themselves?? I cannot commit to embedding a
solution that I cannot be entirely sure will not go to hell in a
handbasket after deployment. I am sorry, I have to look for something
else.

Bob Sneidar
IT Manager
Logos Management