[ANN] Valentina 2.3 Released

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Apr 11 22:22:58 CDT 2006

On 4/11/06 9:20 PM, "Claudius Sailer" <Claudius at sailer-online.de> wrote:

Hl Claudius,

>> Valentina 2.3 includes a dramatic leap forward in speed for  database JOINS
>> (including data from two or more database tables) with a new  breakthrough
>> algorithm. In a comparative analysis in base configurations between Valentina
>> and MS SQL Server 2000 on Windows, on joins of 5,000,000 and 20,000,000
>> record test databases, Valentina was between 2-6 times  faster than MS SQL
>> Server. Based on file structural differences of even  larger databases,
>> Valentina 2.3 can be 50-100 times faster or more (MS  Server, mySQL, PostGre,
>> SQLite and Oracle have the same file based  limitations), depending on the
>> record size of a table.
>
> is this the step from 2.2 to 2.3 or is this the opinion from V4RB 1.X
> to V4RB 2.X?

2.2 to 2.3

Probably you are not on beta list, yes?

> IMHO is V4RB2 not faster than V4RB 1.X and I can't see that 2.3 is
> faster than 2.2....

> I hope I will get a very bif SpeedDump when RB is able to make
> Universal Binaries.

Please read what it talk about.
    About JOIN one 2 big tables.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Make table in e.g. 500K records and million
One record left related to 2 records right.

Valentina 2.2 did join
     SELECT * FROM T1 join T2 on T1,id = T2.ptr

In 15 min (1000 seconds), Valentina 2.3 do this in 1.8-3.2 seconds.

We have test even more huge tables, with 5 million and 20 millions records.
We have spend 2 days benching against MS SQL. We can say Valentina win even
on simple tables with 2-3 fields (record size 28 bytes) 2-6 times. IF record
size go to 200+ bytes, Valentina wins much more.

Yes, I know this is not everyday queries, and I know that not each developer
get them. But we have customers which are happy that Valentina now spend not
15 minutes but 2 seconds. :-)  This is start of Jeffrey letter from beta
list.