V4RB - Aggregate Functions, Permissions

RB User fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 1 08:55:30 CDT 2005

On 9/1/05 3:04 AM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> On 8/27/05 2:05 AM, "RB User" <fitzbew at nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Russ,
>
>>> MAY BE you need to use Vserver for your task?
>>
>> No, only one user needs access to this file at a time.
>>
>> The thing is, I think the second user (with only read permissions to the db
>> file) is running the app, and Valentina is not properly handling the
>> permissions issue. I mean, it is trying to write the "results table" to the
>> db file and the user does not have write access to it, or it is trying to
>> build the "results table" in an invalid temp folder. This is just an
>> educated guess, based on the fact that the problem goes away if the user has
>> write access to the db file.
>>
>> Should a "managed user" on OS X have write access to the system TMP folder,
>> that Valentina uses for the "results table"?
>
> Not sure. May be that is admin folder ?

I don't know where V4RB (at least not with certainty) is trying to write.  I
suspect it is trying to write the "results table" to the DB file itself,
since the problem goes away if the user has write access to the DB file.
Just an educated guess on my part.

>> I don't mind leaving my workaround in place, it just makes me nervous that I
>> do not know 100% sure what is causing the cursor to choke.
>>
>> I have verified the same problem on one other Mac OS X machine (i.e., a
>> managed user cannot successfully run an aggregate query cursor on a db that
>> they only have Read access to).
>
> Well, if you will upgrade later to 2.0,
> Then for 2.0 we can check this and try to fix if needed

Great. First chance I get, I'll check 2.X and see if the problem goes away.
(I already have a 2.X V4RB for Windows license.) I'll post here again with
what I find, but it may be a 1-2 weeks.

In the meantime, I'll just use the workaround (sorting the recordset, and
grabbing the first record to get MAX).

I have been very eager to "dive into" V4RB 2.X, and now that encryption has
been rolled out, I guess it is finally time!

Russ