V4RB - Version 1.10 vs 1.11 and Encryption

Keith DeLong delong at redcort.com
Wed Oct 26 14:12:11 CDT 2005

>> Some of us are stuck in 1.x until 2.x matures a bit further.
>> Given the component hassles of 2.x I'm wondering if it'll
>> ever make sense for me to upgrade them to 2.x.
>>
>> Ruslan, I'll happily pay for an 1.x upgrade to keep v1
>> development alive.

> Lynn wrote:
> What's missing in 2.x that you need to make a transition?

As I said above: Maturity.

You must sense (as I do) from reading these lists and perusing Mantis that
installation, updates, reliability of v2 to date prevents some of us V4RB
developers with existing commercial applications from taking the plunge with
v2.

Regarding my other comment -- I warned Ruslan a couple of years ago that I
feared the component nature of v2 would kill me with in increased support
costs. It was a huge yellow flag for me as a commercial application
developer. I think all you have to do is look at the installation/update
hassles v2 users constantly deal on this list to know it's a huge barrier to
upgrading my commercial apps to v2.

Before we delve back into another defense the new architecture please
understand I am not demanding anything at all. Capitalism is a wonderful
thing. You have the right to offer whatever you want and the market votes
with their purchases. I'm simply saying v1 is a much more useful platform
for V4RB development for me. I'd gladly pay for continued v1.x upgrades.

Keith DeLong