V4RB - Version 1.10 vs 1.11 and Encryption

Russ Tyndall fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 26 15:21:46 CDT 2005

Using RB2005R4, Mac OS X.3.9

**

Experienced a bizarre problem, thought I would post it for archive purposes.
Since this is just 1.1x, not sure we should agonize over it too much.

An RB project using an encrypted Valentina DB and the 1.11 V4RB plugin began
inexplicably generating a Nil vCursor, even though the associated query has
run ok a million times.  Suspecting corruption, I restored the DB from a
backup.

Unfortunately, I continued to get the Nil cursor at the same query.

I ran DIAGNOSE on the DB, and the report was filled with errors.

I restored from an even older DB.  No change.

Tried lots of rebuilding, exporting, importing, etc. with no luck.

I remembered that I had upgraded V4RB from 1.10 to 1.11 as part of an
ill-fated attempt to work around problems upgrading project to V4RB 2.x.  On
a hunch, I switched out the plugins, so that RB was now using 1.10.

This fixed the cursor, the project runs happily.

I did run DIAGNOSE again (after "downshifting" to 1.10), and was surprised
to find errors.  Despite reported errors from DIAGNOSE, db appears to be
fine --- all records are fine, everything looks great.

Note: If encryption is removed from the equation, there are no errors at all
in either version of the plugin.

So, is DIAGNOSE no good with encrypted databases in 1.1x? I have found some
mention in archives of DIAGNOSE not working if encrypted db has Booleans,
but I was getting errors with fields of all types.

--
Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC