Conversion Question

Chuck Pelto cbpelto at pcisys.net
Wed Oct 26 08:50:55 CDT 2005

On Oct 26, 2005, at 5:36 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> So you ask about Structure of Database?
>
> 1) Please note, link and Class-way are different things.
> Links exists for each way, Sql, Api, Class.
>
> 2) you can at first creat in Valentina structure like in old db.
>     then import data.

I want to streamline the database structure. It was not very well
done in the first place. So I'll be combining some of the tables and
other tables will be prepared differently.

>  and only after this you can use VObjectPtr.ConvertRDB() method
>  or SQL command CONVERT RDB to convvert Relational FK to ObjectPtr
> links.

I'd not thought of these. I'll take a look at them.

> It is harder produce binary links. It needs write some loops to
> link records
> using binary links using existed relational links. After this
> relational
> links can be deleted.

This is what I was thinking would be necessary; an application that
would loop through the records and set the binary links based on the
old data's relational linking fields data.

Once satisfied that the binary-links were properly aligned, I would
delete the old relational linking fields.

A question about VS. Using VS, can I find selected records in a
database table and then, having found a set of records, set/replace
all the data in a particular field of all those records?

Regards,

Chuck Pelto