Encoding of 1-2 converted db

Leo Van den Brande leo_van_den_brande at wxs.nl
Fri Oct 14 15:08:47 CDT 2005

Hi all,

After conversion of a database from Val 1 to 2 I experience an encoding problem.

I develop on Mac OS 10.2.6 with Realbasic 5.5.2.

With Val 1, I applied conversion to MacRoman for Mac and WindowsLatin1 for Windows, both on storage and retrieval. This worked well.

According to the documentation and discussions, Val2 delivers UTF8 format which is Realbasic format.

So, I queried with:
c  = App.mValdb1.SQLSelect(s,EVCursorLocation.kServerSide, EVLockType.kReadOnly, EVCursorDirection.kRandom)

and retrieved a string with:
aResult = c.Field(<some field name>).GetString

Accented characters do not show correctly in RB on Mac.
I tested many alternatives on Mac: convert encoding to MacRoman on retrieval, convert to MacRoman after retrieval, but none was successful.

On Windows, the converted DB caused errors on opening. I have not yet examined that problem and first want to focus on the behaviour on Mac.

Note that this code works perfectly well with a new db created on Mac, also when ported to Windows.

Where am I in error? Please enlighten me!

I am gratefull for any suggestion.

Leo

--
Leo Van den Brande