Valentina Developer Program For Priority Fixes: Your Feedback Wanted

Sims, John ayu8 at cdc.gov
Thu Oct 13 13:14:42 CDT 2005

Lynn and all...

One thing that has not really been touched on in this discussion is the
affect such a system can have on the product.  What do I mean by this?
Well, if you are only talking about the end-user having the ability to
pay for true bug fixes to be elevated, that is one thing.  But if you
open the door to situations where Valentina is not filling an
individual's need (which so many developers incorrectly see as a bug)
and then allow the individual to pay to have what amounts to a "feature"
implemented then you have really big problems.  The last company I
worked for used to allow customers to file feature requests like most
companies do.  However, if it was a feature that we were not planning on
implementing anytime soon or one we did not plan to implement at all,
the customer had the option to pay for that feature to be added to the
application in a timely fashion.  Since so many of these were features
that only specific customers wanted for themselves (and no other
customer would ever see the use for), the application became completely
schizophrenic from a developers point of view.  I can see the value in
giving a customer the option to elevate a fix to a bug (entered in
Mantis and verified by Paradigma as a bug), but I strongly recommend you
avoid the path of allowing individuals to "purchase features".

My long-winded 2 cents :-)

-John