Performance metrics - some early conclusions

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Nov 30 23:29:13 CST 2005

On 11/30/05 9:32 PM, "Ed Kleban" <Ed at Kleban.com> wrote:

> I'm afraid I still need more help connecting the dots here because I still
> don't understand why the following are true:
>

>> It must copy them to be able execute UpdateRecord()
>>
>> It must because we need OLD values to update index.
>
> Presumably if I'm going to change the values in the memory buffer with
> SetBlank, I've already stored any new values I care about by having already
> performed a UpdateRecord.... or stated another way as a question:
>
> Why would I ever want to do SetBlanks without first having executed
> UpdateRecord() if I care about the current memory buffer values?   Wouldn't
> it be foolish for me to do this?  Or is the (undocumented) case that by
> definition and intent SetBlank always first does an UpdateRecord before
> blanking the memory buffer unless you specify forAdd so that you don't
> accidentily screw yourself by being foolish?

I have understand almost nothing.

Let me explain what I think you need:

* you are on some CURRENT record. ALWAYS.

* this means that values of THIS record are LOADED into
    Table record buffer.

* Now you want update this current record.
    what you do.

* Case 1

    -- you just assign few fields
    -- and do tbl.UpdateRecord.

    this is 99% cases

    when you assign field new values, Valentina copy old one into
    second buffer. This old value is required to be able update index
    if it exists.

* Case 2

    somebody still can wish just blank this record.
    so

    -- tbl.SetBlank()
    -- tbl.UpdateRecord()

    the same: Valentina must copy old values.

    This is very rare case. But it have right to live.

    much more often, you do tbl.SetBlank() before you going
    add record.