kPreferIndexed

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Nov 21 20:06:02 CST 2005

On 11/21/05 4:36 PM, "Ed Kleban" <Ed at Kleban.com> wrote:

> My understanding from reading the V4RB reference manual, is that if you
> disable Indexing for a field, and then later perform a search such as
> FindSingle on that field with kPreferIndexed, then at that time V4RB will
> first create an index for that field as if you had enabled isIndexed=true,
> and that the index will then be retained and updated as additional records
> are added until you subsequently changed to isIndexed=false.
>
> So then, if I remove an index then it will be recreated automatically the
> next time I do a search that needs it.
>
> Is all of this correct?

No.

At least for now logic of engine is:

    if( mpFldStorage->get_IndexFile() && inSearchPref == kPreferIndexed )
    {
        // we do indexed search
    }
    else // we scan the whole table.
    {
    }

So you can use this option to AVOID search by index.
This can be useful, if you already have small set of records to iterate.
You could get this set from searches by prev fields.