[V4RB] VComponents path

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Nov 17 23:08:06 CST 2005

On 11/17/05 10:01 PM, "Stan Busk" <maxprog at mac.com> wrote:

Hi Stan,

> I personally think Mac 'installations' should be *CLEAN*. The
> application folder *SHOULD NEVER* include a big wad of libraries as I
> see it is suggested again and again in that list. I personally think
> is it unbelievable and astounding somebody can suggest or even
> consider asking us to do that!
> How could Valentina developers suggest that?

Easy. Because MAC OS force you put dlls only in 3 locations:

1) App folder
2) Library/CFMSupport
3) Home/SFMSupport

IF you will put dlls into subfolder in this locations. Problems.
MacOS do not find them and do not load.

> I develop on Windows as well, no problem there, you create an
> installer and place the files anywhere you want, the end-user doesn't
> mind.

Dlls ???

You put them again

1) in app folder
2) into ProgramFiles/MyCompany/MyProduct

In last case you ALSO must set PATH in that computer to MyProduct folder,
right ?

> Mac users have a direct access to your product folder. Most Mac
> developer are very minimalists, you open the app folder and you see 2
> or 3 files.

> Many developers have the help built-in just to be as
> minimalist and straightforward as possible.

> Valentina developers say
> that all of a sudden our applications have to look like PC folders
> full of junk... I am so annoyed.

Can I ask you:

    about what kind of MAC application you talk now?
        - old style executable (Carbon)
        - or about new Apple style Package ?

> I can't create bundles because I
> think it is too soon right now, I am still PEFed.

Aha, so you talk about OLD SYTLE application.

> Bundles for RB  developers will maybe be usual in 6 months or so, with macho
> and  those universal binaries.

Well, Apple use packages - bundles for years already. Right ?

> Really awful... <RANT-ON>Some days I wonder
> I did not make a mistake choosing Valentina 3 years ago<RANT-OFF>.

> Not only my apps are now a lot bigger, now they also look crappy.

> Next step will be to use an alias instead of the application to hide
> Valentina junk. I fill personally molested when they ask me to do
> things like if I were using a PC. A PC is a PC, great but please a
> little respect about Mac people want the things done. I haven't
> purchased the last G5 Quad to use it as a PC box, really! Please heed
> and flag this request with maximum priority, so many Mac developers
> will be really happy then!

Stan, if you want get nice MODERN Application, then you should use Packages.

I already 5 times have told the same on this list. It is time move to FAQ
probably. Open any application from Apple, which is as package. It contains
hundreds of files.

Or have you see Valentina Studio? Looks nice?
Just one application file.

AND, you still can put VComponents into CFMSupport, in your isntaller.
Then this is similar to Windows way. Right?

Actually as Claudius says, I need at last of end force to work VComponents
folder from inside of Macho package that build RB.