[V4MD] problems with importing ascii text

Jim Swenson swensonian at yahoo.com
Wed May 18 07:16:00 CDT 2005

FWIW, We've developed many MD projects in science
education using a Valentina database, and highly
formatted text has always been a challenge.  Yes,
exporting text from Filemaker as a tab file and
importing into Valentina preserves some limited
formatting (basically the full ascii character set).
But to handle really heavily formatted files which
preserve such features as subscripts and superscripts,
underlines, ital, bold, changing fonts and font sizes,
we have resorted to a partially parallel structure of
.RTF files which travel with the MD application or
server resources. In a typical project say 80% of the
text can be handled in  Valentina. When we come to a
document that must preserve formatting, the Valentina
DB shows a flag (or actually a file name)in that
record. Instead of loading  the Valentina stored text,
an MD function goes out to the local /resource/ folder
and imports the rtf, which Director displays properly.
Use Director's
memberObjRef.importFileInto(fileOrUrlString) function.
 We've also experimented using XML, which requires a
tweaking of stylesheets to sync FMP and Val formats.

--Jim

--- Gregory Kowalski <gregkowalski at earthlink.net>