[V4REV] Advice 2 about func names

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Sat May 14 00:43:17 CDT 2005

>What kind of wrappers are you thinking about?  For my libraries I am
>usually wrapping a concept (get table rows, update table, add to
>table, etc.) so there is no branching in what Valentina function is
>being called.  In this case a speed bump in the external would be
>great and I wouldn't lose anything on the transcript side.  Are you
>using wrappers that take the function name and any additional
>parameters as needed?  If so I'm curious as to why.

Trevor,

In my oldest project, which started with Valentina 1.5 or even 1.3, I
use wrappers passing function and parameters since this allowed me to
handle multiple databases dynamically in parallel. This project is
essentially a content management system with a bunch of stacks doing
work on specific tasks upon web-based requests from users. With the
forthcoming Valentina changes, I will have to change the logic and
refactor the code differently. A total rewrite in other words. It
probably be for better, just a lot of work.

On general level, I agree that passing functions is seldom an optimal
solution. However, I like having flexibility to choose what's optimal
for a given project. It seems, though, that the benefits of loosing
this outweigh the loss, so be it. You guys convinced me :)

Robert