[V4REV] Advice 2 about func names

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Fri May 13 05:05:29 CDT 2005

>>Not to rain on the parade but IMHO this increases chances of name
>>conflicts beyond comfortable and makes the code less
>>self-documenting. I rather type a few chars more.
>
>It is really only a two character difference between the two
>variants.  I was just joking around about having to type less.  I do
>like the proposed syntax more than the Valentina("") stuff (just
>because it seems "right") but I could see how that could create
>problems for someone who has the code sprinkled all over their
>projects.  It really isn't a big deal either way for me.

The first variant proposed by Ruslan had Valentina_ as prefix for all
calls, so at least it was painfully clear where they are coming from.
The second variant has only V up front that is common and that makes
me uncomfortable.

>>I also wonder about increased effort for you to maintain those new
>>functions, particularly when adding new functions. Won't you need
>>to have a series of externals instead of a single one? Or are you
>>planning to have a Valentina library that defines those as passthru
>>functions to the external?
>
>In the code for an external you simply add a line of text that maps
>a function in your external to a transcript handler.

Will that work same for Win, OSX, and OS9? I was not aware that a
single external can have multiple entry points. Oh, wait, what is
that about mapping an external to a transcript handler?

Robert