[V4REV] Advice 2 about func names

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Thu May 12 19:30:22 CDT 2005

On May 12, 2005, at 4:23 PM, Robert Brenstein wrote:
> Not to rain on the parade but IMHO this increases chances of name
> conflicts beyond comfortable and makes the code less self-
> documenting. I rather type a few chars more.

It is really only a two character difference between the two
variants.  I was just joking around about having to type less.  I do
like the proposed syntax more than the Valentina("") stuff (just
because it seems "right") but I could see how that could create
problems for someone who has the code sprinkled all over their
projects.  It really isn't a big deal either way for me.

> I sure hope you will let us to continue using Valentina
> ("function",...) as it is now even if you go ahead with these new
> calls. Aside the above points, having to recode some of my bigger
> and older projects would be a big job.
>
> I also wonder about increased effort for you to maintain those new
> functions, particularly when adding new functions. Won't you need
> to have a series of externals instead of a single one? Or are you
> planning to have a Valentina library that defines those as passthru
> functions to the external?

In the code for an external you simply add a line of text that maps a
function in your external to a transcript handler.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com