documentation (was: default values)

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Mon May 9 03:10:25 CDT 2005

>This is ENUM - enumereted type as exists in C, C++, Java, ...

But it is not a standard type in those languages, is it? So it should
be defined to avoid ambiguities and guessing.

>Okay, tell me please how you prefer to see explanation of
>     Vfield.Type property ?
>
>What type it have? Now is written EVFieldType. What you suggest ?
>Just write
>
>     Vfield.Type as integer ?
>
>This is not good.
>Write properties and parameters without types?
>Yes SCRIPT - LANGUAGE users are used to this, but this is not very good
>also.

Can you list specific definitions for field type in each environment
(product). Just to see the actual differences in syntax. This will
make this discussion more concrete.

My point about not using formal declarations but plain English has
nothing to do with script languages. I am just not convinced that
kernel doc can't be written in plain english and the syntax / formal
declarations left for product docs (they are defined/used there
anyway).

As aside: I don't think Transcript qualifies as a scripting language,
although I give it is a matter of perspective. I happen to use
Valentina with Transcript but I program or programmed in a variety of
languages including C/C++, Pascal, Fortran, and a multitude of
scripting languages, so the syntax you use does not scare me per se.

The point I was trying to make is that the declarations you give may
provide some info but also introduce new problems, like your telling
me to see something that does not exist as such or defining things
using undefined terms. And they often obscure the clarity of
presenting general concepts.

Robert