documentation (was: default values)

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri May 6 21:08:54 CDT 2005

On 5/6/05 5:52 PM, "Robert Brenstein" <rjb at robelko.com> wrote:

> Now following my search for default values, I gather that they are
> hidden in the inFlags of each CreateXxxxField(), but searching the
> doc for 'inFlags' or 'EVFlag' again produces no hits outside that
> section. What is this EVFlag thing?

This is ENUM - enumereted type as exists in C, C++, Java, ...

> Luckily, searching PDF for 'default' produces a hit in section
> discussing field properties, where DefaultValue is defined as
> "asvariant". Aha! So, are flags and properties synonyms in your API?

Yes.

Each OO abstract layer have

    classes, object,
        properties
        methods

> What is this "asvariant"? I guess it should be "as variant" (typos
> add to confusion). Neither is defined in this doc.

Yes typo

> Another example along those lines: the description of field property
> "Type as EVFieldType" (what the heck is the latter BTW?) says to see
> also "VTable.ChangeType" (bottom of p 57). So I search for it, and...
> no hits. Then what am I to "see also"?

I think if you'd read page by page you know that EV this is prefix for all
    Enum Valentina

> So, is this API abstraction defining items in terms of undefined
> terms really so helpful to each Valentina developer? Wouldn't it be
> simpler to just explain all this in plain English? It would require
> only a few paragraphs instead of numerous pages.
>
> As I said elsewhere, I think this abstracted API should be an
> internal Paradigma doc.
>
> Or am I having a bad day?

Oh Robert...

Frankly saying Vkernel is the worse document we have.
It require yet a lots of polishing.

We will try take into account your points.

Okay, tell me please how you prefer to see explanation of
    Vfield.Type property ?

What type it have? Now is written EVFieldType. What you suggest ?
Just write

    Vfield.Type as integer ?

This is not good.
Write properties and parameters without types?
Yes SCRIPT - LANGUAGE users are used to this, but this is not very good
also.