V4RB - Compound index

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun May 8 09:36:29 CDT 2005

On 5/8/05 8:25 AM, "Anna Kritselis" <akritselis at earthlink.net> wrote:

Hi Anna,

> I need to build a unique, compound index using three vulong fields (actually
> they could be ObjectPtrs).  I read a post from June 2003 and you suggest using
> vullong data type and method using shiftleft -
>
> I tried testing with just one field and the application just hangs -
>
> mCompoundIndex = new vullong("CIndex", EVFlag.Unique,
> "bitwise.shiftleft(f1,20)")

    "bitwise.shiftleft(f1,20)"  -- what is this ?

I think you have use REALbasic syntax.

Valentina syntax is

        "f1 << 20"

Ivan, please check why it hangs with Anna code.

Anna, Also note, since you need 3 fields, I think only way to make Method as
string and concate values of ObjectPtr fields

mCompoundIndex = new VString("CIndex", 11 * 3, EVFlag.Unique,
                         "concat(f1,f2,f3)")

May be better to use VarChar, because ID will not always be 11 chars.
So String will waste space